Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Public Displays Of Affection

Public Displays of Affection (PDA) is a common act among people in love. Especially in their teenage years. Many people scorn this calling it inappropriate. But why? How? How can it be inappropriate? How can you deny the most basic show of love as something that is wrong?
PDA is usually harmless. Holding hands, a short kiss, carrying the other person’s book bags. How could this be seen as an act of a malicious nature?
Some of the most reoccurring arguments for PDA are that it disturbs the workplace. It creates an adult like environment, or that it will grow into more inappropriate behavior. I guess, not really, are you kidding me?
I can see a little bit of truth in the argument that it will disturb the workplace. The main place that PDA is seen is in high school. I guess that if I am really to think about it I don’t want to see an entire hallway full of couples kissing. I have seen Public Displays of Affection in school but I have to say that I am not disturbed and I am sure that the kids that have also witnessed this will agree that they have not been disturbed or mentally scarred for life.
The second argument of it creates an adult like environment. I have to somewhat disagree. If you think about it then you could see that we are pretty much adults, especially when we are 17. Being that age creates a grey area as to whether you are an adult or not.
The third and last common argument, I have to say is downright BS. There is no better way to put it. PDA will not lead to more inappropriate behavior. We will not all of a sudden have public displays of sexual relations. There is no way to possibly water down this rant. This is probably the most overused, incomplete and worthless argument ever known to combat this topic.
In my opinion PDA is something that is going to happen and should happen with minimal to no moderation. Let us be the judges of what is proper to do. There is no other way to put this. Kids will be kids and we will do kid things. 

1 comment:

dsimom said...

Remember, PDA rules were set by grownups who lived through the 60. You know, the "free love" generation.

They know what they speak of when they talk about PDA leading to public acts of... well... of.. unspeakable things. That's it. Unspeakable things.